- Exchanges and refunds are available up to 7 days post-performance. Please call the ticket office during the next business day following your scheduled performance. This will allow our patrons to choose to stay home without risk of losing money. Ticket office hours are Noon-3:00 PM, Tuesdays-Fridays, and the ticket office phone number is 515.277.6261.
- All orders, whether purchased online, by phone, or at the ticket office, are subject to the same service, ticketing, and processing fees. Ticket fees help to offset the cost of running our ticket system.
- All persons entering the theatre, regardless of age, must have a ticket. Students are infants through college students.
- Although there are no age restrictions, parents should use discretion regarding the appropriateness of some shows.
- Season ticket holders wanting to make an online purchase for additional tickets to shows must use their assigned discount code to receive subscriber discounts. If you place the online order and the discount code has not been used, we are unable to refund the difference.
- When using a discount code, click on Apply and confirm the code has been accepted. If you place the online order and the discount code has not been validated, we are unable to refund the difference.
- Flex Four, Gift Certificates, Guest Passes, and other coupons and credits can be redeemed online using this form. You may also call The Playhouse Ticket Office at 515.277.6261. Do not purchase tickets online. If you purchase tickets, we are unable to refund the online purchases.
- Your will receive ticket purchase confirmation from email@example.com. When tickets are involved, you can print your tickets, or you can just show them to us on your smartphone.
- Cancellations due to bad weather are typically not decided until 3:00 PM on performance days and 11:00 AM on weekend matinee days. Cancellations will be noted on the website and social media, and announced by the media wherever possible. Please be sure you include your email information and phone when ordering your tickets in the event we need to contact you. Tickets for a canceled performance may be exchanged for another performance.
Accessibility & Hearing Impaired
The Playhouse strives to make its facility and performances accessible to all guests. Theatres are wheelchair accessible. Service animals are welcome. Large print programs are available. ASL interpreted performances, audio description, and other services may be available with advance notice. Please call the ticket office at 515.277.6261 with specific service requests.
The Playhouse has a telecoil hearing loop system in the John Viars Theatre. If your hearing ad has a T-coil, you can toggle to that setting to receive the audio signal directly without any headset or other equipment needed. Listening devices are available for free at the ticket office and can be used with Playhouse provided headset or with your own earbuds.
John Viars Theatre Content Advisory: The Playhouse does not rate subject matter as sensitivities vary from person to person. If you have questions about content, age appropriateness, or other aspects of the show (ie strobe lights and other theatrical affects), please contact the ticket office at 515.277.6261.
Children’s Theatre Age Intention: Playhouse children’s theatre productions are intended for ages 5 and up.
How can I buy tickets?
Tickets are available 24 hours a day online. Our ticketing system is real time, and allows you to choose your seats for most productions. The ticket office is open Noon-5:00 PM, Tuesdays-Fridays, and can be reached by phone during that time at 515.277.6261.
What are your ticket prices?
John Viars Theatre shows start at $29. Kate Goldman Children’s Theatre shows start at $14.
Are there ticketing fees?
Yes. All orders, whether purchased online, by phone, or at the ticket office, are subject to the same service, ticketing, and processing fees.
Does the Playhouse offer discounted tickets?
Season tickets are the best price, and are a savings of 20% over ticket prices. On occasion we will sell tickets to the final dress rehearsal for $5-25, depending upon the show. Contact The Playhouse ticket office at 515.277.6261 for more information.
My child is 3-years-old and not a student. Does my child need a ticket? What price is that ticket?
All persons, regardless of age, must have a ticket. The price for children is the same as the student ticket price.
Does my infant need a ticket? Do I need to buy a ticket for a child who will sit on my lap?
All persons, regardless of age, must have a ticket.
Are there age restrictions on shows?
Our experience is that live theatre is generally not enjoyable for children under 5, either for the child or the audience. All guests regardless of age who become disruptive or talkative are asked to move to the lobby where the performance can be watched on a TV screen.
Why do I have to pay ticketing fees?
Ticket fees help offset the cost of running our ticket system.
I’m looking at the John Viars Theatre auditorium map. What is the difference between rows A-J and rows M-X?
Rows A-J, sometimes referred to as the main floor or orchestra, are closest to the stage. Rows M-X are similar to stadium-style seating in movie theatres. There are steps involved with rows M-X.
I’m looking at the Kate Goldman Children’s Theatre auditorium map. Can I see from the left and right sides?
Directors in the Kate Goldman Children’s Theatre are skilled at revealing the stage so that it is interesting from all angles. If you were to come and watch a rehearsal, you would see the director sitting in the right and left seating to make sure that the story is open to both sides as well as the center section.
My tickets are at Will Call. Where is that?
The ticket office, on the 41st Street (east, lower) side of the building, designates Will Call as the window where guests can pick up tickets that have already been paid.
Do you give refunds? Can I exchange my tickets?
Tickets can be exchanged or refunded if guests are feeling unwell by contacting The Playhouse ticket office at 515.277.6261.
Do you sell gift certificates?
We sell gift certificates in multiples of $5.
Can I redeem gift certificates online?
You can use this form to reserve seats online and will then need to bring your gift certificate to the ticket office when you come to the show. You can also call The Playhouse ticket office at 515.277.6261 or visit the ticket office to redeem gift certificates.
What happens if the weather is bad?
If a show is canceled due to inclement weather, every effort is made to contact guests. Guests are contacted via email whenever possible, then by phone. Please make sure we have your current email and phone information in the event we need to contact you. Whenever possible, information is posted on the theatre’s website, social media outlets, and the theatre’s phone system. Area media are also notified. Cancellations due to bad weather are typically not decided until 3:00 PM on performance day, 11:00 AM for weekend matinee performances.
Does the Playhouse donate tickets for fundraisers?
We love to donate ticket packages to your auction or fundraiser. On your non-profit organization’s letterhead, please send a request with information about your event including the date when you will need the tickets to the Des Moines Community Playhouse, 831 42nd St., Des Moines, IA 50312, or firstname.lastname@example.org.